Helping People, Changing Lives.
Responsible for safe transportation of Head Start and Migrant and Seasonal Head Start children. Must submit timely reports and be responsible for bus maintenance and regular safety checks. Supports CAPSLO’s mission by ensuring safe transportation for Head Start, Early Head Start, and Migrant & Season Head Start participants.
Required Education and Experience:
- Must have a High School Diploma, GED or equivalent.
License & Certifications:
- Must possess and provide a valid copy of each of the following documents:
- California Commercial Driver’s License (Class A or B with Endorsements P & S)
- DL-45 Special Certificate (Type I or Type II)
- Current DMV printout (original H-6 form)(Must have a good driving record to allow for insurability)
- Medical Examiner Certificate DL51A form
- Must provide certificates of completion of approved pediatric first aid and pediatric CPR training within 30 days of hire.
- Employee is responsible for renewing and maintaining a valid CPR/first aid certification at all times.
- Picks up and delivers children, as scheduled.
- Completes sign-in/sign-out sheets and roster sheets, and submits on a daily basis to the Center Supervisor. With the sign-in/sign-out sheets, the Bus Driver must ensure that the children are being released only to the parent/legal guardian or other individual identified in writing by the parent/legal guardian.
- Submits timely reports to include children’s attendance reports, mileage reports, accident reports and credit card fuel receipts.
- Ensures that the pre-trip inspection report is completed daily for each bus driven and that it is submitted on a daily basis to the Center Supervisor.
- Conducts a post-trip inspection, with the Bus Aide, after each route. This includes checking and straightening all safety restraints, picking up trash, checking for items left in the vehicle and checking all seating areas, as well as underneath seats, to ensure that each child is off the bus. At the end of the day secures emergency doors at the back of the bus.
- Ensures maintenance and safe, operable conditions of bus at all times. This includes cleaning interior of the bus daily, washing windows, mirrors and exterior, and waxing.
- Operates bus in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Notifies Transportation Supervisor of bus routes and notifies any changes to center staff and parents.
- Arranges for State required safety checks.
- Establishes a bus-seating chart for all children, to help identify children and adults in case of an emergency and give each child their own space. This will also help substitutes.
- Must understand, uphold, and continue working toward accomplishing the mission, strategic goals and performance measures of the agency.
- Must use reasonable precautions in the performance of one’s duties and adhere to all applicable safety rules and practices; and act in such a manner as to assure at all times maximum safety to one’s self, fellow employees, clients and children.
- Performs other duties as needed.
For full job description, or to apply, please click on the link below.