Website UNITED WAY MONTEREY COUNTY
Social services organization
The Grants Manager will be responsible for managing an active grants calendar
and writing, reporting, and researching grants from foundations, corporations, and
government funders. Additionally, the Grants Manager will assist in preparing a
number of supporting documents for grant proposals, such as cover letter, budget,
budget narrative, project plans, program evaluation, etc. This position will require
close collaboration with the Community Impact team and will ensure resources for
United Way priorities are met or exceeded.
Responsibilities and Duties:
• Write funding proposals and prepare supporting materials for submission.
• Research federal and state grant opportunities, private foundation requests
for proposals, and foundation interests.
• Research federal and state opportunities for public budget line items.
• Manage staff process to identify projects and build relationships with
national and community partners who are aligned and/or funding United
• Manage reporting and new application process for all foundation, corporate
and federal grants in database.
• Maintain and grow Development team relationships with funders in portfolio
and record activities and opportunities in donor database.
• Collaborate with Community Impact team program staff to compile
outcome data for necessary proposals and reports.
• Collaborate with Finance team to gather financial
information/documentation for proposals and reports.
• Mission oriented – Performance and professional motivations are driven by
a commitment to creating real social change that leads to better lives and
• Relationship oriented – Understands that people come before process and
is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
• Collaborator – Understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the
community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through
• Results driven – Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the
common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and
innovations for broad investment and impact.
• Brand Steward – Steward of the United Way brand and understands
his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the
organization and greater network.
• Drives Revenue –results driven, with a focus on gaining the resources to
support United Way’s mission and community impact-focused strategic
• Strategic Relationship Building – develops and maintains strategic
relationships that generate the resources necessary to support United
• Effective and Engaging Communicator – effective and passionate
communicator, articulating the United Way message in a way that inspires
others to act in service to the organization and the community.
• Embracing Change – champions and facilitates change to ensure longterm community sustainability. Adapts to changing needs while
maintaining positive relationships with all constituents, internal and
• Entrepreneurial and Innovative – creatively seeks new opportunities to
generate revenue and other resources that add greater value to the
organization and the community.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Strong program management, organizational, and strategic planning skills.
• Knowledge of the human services system in general and community
services in Monterey County preferred.
• Excellent time/project management skills. Able to monitor and meet goals.
• Experience managing deadlines and collaborating with multiple
• Positive and collaborative attitude.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, proficiency with Salesforce desired.
• Strong written communication skills; ability to write clear, structured,
articulate, and persuasive proposals.
• Strong editing skills, attention to detail.
• Experience with proposal writing and institutional donors.
• Knowledge and familiarity with research techniques for fundraising
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred. Minimum of four years of
direct experience in fund development and grants management is
• Minimum 3-5 years of experience working in social services, preferably in
• Experience with grant proposal and report writing
• Strong proficiency in oral and written communication.
Benefits: Benefits include healthcare, dental, vision, retirement plan, disability, life
and generous paid time off and holiday policies.
Compensation: Salary Range: $25.00 – $30.00 per hour salary commensurate
with experience. Annual salary range $52,000 – $62,400.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to:
Director of Operations
United Way Monterey County
United Way Monterey County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.