Helping People, Changing Lives.
Provides care and education for children and their families in a child care center. Supports Administration, Center Supervisor and Teacher(s) at the center in carrying out overall program goals and objectives in a positive, open and productive manner. Shares responsibility for overall quality of children’s educational experience. May support the Bus Driver in the safe transportation of children to and from the child care center. Assumes responsibility of a Teacher in the absence of the Teacher, and may give direction to Instructional Assistants, parents, community volunteers or other staff. Supports CAPSLO’s mission by ensuring all children in the program are taught effectively to promote growth within the program.
Required Education and Experience:
- Twelve (12) semester units ECE/CD(a)(b), with a grade C or better, or CDA Credential or CTC
- Six (6) months related experience with children ages 0 – 5 years of age.
- Associate Teacher Permit or higher
- HS/EHS/MSHS/State-Braided Associate Teachers must also meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Have a child development associate (CDA) credential or the California equivalent of an Associate Teacher Permit (12 ECE semester units including core courses; and for EHS and infant/toddler classrooms must also have 6 infant/toddler semester units) OR
- Be enrolled in a CDA credential program that will be completed within 2 years; OR
- Have an associate or bachelor’s degree (in any area) or be enrolled in a program leading to such a degree
Additional Education and Experience:
- Semester Units in ECE/CD include coursework in early childhood education/child development and at least one course in each of the following core areas: child/human growth and development
child, family and community, or child and family relations
programs/curriculum. Must have received passing grade of “C” or better or credit.
- For infant/toddler center(s), 3 semester units in infant/toddler development and/or programs must be included as part of the coursework requirement.
- Experience must be in a licensed day care center, comparable home day care or group child care program for children ages 0-5 under the supervision of a person who would qualify as a Center Supervisor.
- College internships and labs in a licensed day care center will count as experience.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Experience working with children with a diversity of special needs is desirable.
License & Certifications:
- Valid California Driver’s License and reliable insured vehicle available for business use (mileage to be reimbursed) and acceptable driving record.
- A DMV printout and proof of insurance will be required (not required for Substitutes).
- Must possess a valid Associate Teacher Permit or higher, or qualify for and apply for one within 60 days of commencing employment.
State Child Development program requires permit be held prior to beginning employment (Temporary County Certificates also acceptable).
For full job description, or to apply, please visit: